Chivalry Lost

Charisma Dealer in Training


Saturday, April 22, 2006

Morphine Relationships

I remember reading in the Game that Juggler commented on Style, saying how he thought Style was trying to find happiness in his life by filling a void with women. I understand that intellectually but haven't fully grasped it yet. For me, affection and love with women is so powerful and always brings me joy, but as I remember previous girlfriends now, I am starting to realize that success with women does not equate to happiness. It's hard to grasp at this stage in the game, but I do see how it will become more important down the line. One thing Style did say that the best way to pick up women is to be a legitimately happy (and of course confident) guy. So many people are unhappy and insecure but they try to fix this by getting into relationships that they think will bring them joy. This joy is, however, temporary.

Watching more On Being a Man by DavidD, he drops an important point:
Money, power, and success with women NEVER solves inner problems, and NEVER creates happiness by itself.
I look back at my previous failures with women (e.g. my one-itis) and it does bring me a smile because I realize that what I was seeking with those women was love and acceptance and maternal nurturing qualities that I lack because of my own mother's death when I was 16. So with women I am trying to find happiness, but happiness lies within. It sounds corny and trite but it's true; I just wish I knew how to get there. If only DavidD would point me in the right direction!

This goes back to my analogy for people who get into LTRs to find validation for their existence or purely to seek happiness: they have inner problems, so the affection of another brings them temporal relief. In actuality, however, this is more like giving morphine to someone dying from internal bleeding: they will feel great for a while, but it doesn't solve the inner problem. I know so many guys and girls who are in, what I like to call, "morphine relationships."

2 Comments:

  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Fabz said…

    Hi Van Wilder,
    I am in a similar position, with a lot of inner game issues. I have also come to the conclusion that those issues have to be solved separately from PU. It is a matter of developping oneself, of litteraly recarving our lives to our 'real' selves, to learn to give validation to ourselves, and to question and remove all the 'negative' elements from our lives. It seems to be a very long process unfortunately :-)...

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Van Wilder said…

    Hey Fabz, I saw your post as well and it looks like we are in the same boat here. I'm working primarily on inner game at this point (80% probably) with only 20% dedicated to outer game. I have a feeling they will go hand-in-hand, so after doing a workshop, for instance, I may be able to destroy a limiting belief that I cannot open a 3-set of HB9's and get hugs and kisses from them within 60 seconds of introduction. Destroying that limiting belief will boost internal confidence in myself, but as you said, it may be only a temporary relief like a drug. However doing it enough might externally trigger a boost in internal self-confidence. Who knows.

    It's a long road indeed, but I'm so glad there is a community of anonymous guys out there working together to improve their lives and make life better for all of us. We're all in this together.

    I wonder if women have a similar community... or is Cosmo all they have?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home